Thursday, August 25, 2011

Sound Walk ... will have to wait

Our theme this week is sounds. We've been reading The Ear Book, Mr. Brown Can Moo! Can You?, and Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What Do You Hear?. Caleb's favorite is The Ear Book. He has been asking me to read it a few times a day.

One of the activities I had planned for this week to go along with our theme was to go on a sound walk. Unfortunately the weather here in southern California has been in the triple digits all week.


So the sound walk will have to wait. If the weather cools off enough next week, we'll do it then. If not, we will have to wait until we get back from our two week vacation that starts next Friday.

But just so you can see what we have planned...


I made up this little "checklist" for our walk. We'll take it along with us and as we hear the sounds listed on the paper, Caleb will get to put a sticker in the box next to the picture. When we get home we'll count what sounds we heard the most. As soon as we're able to take our sound walk, I'll be sure to make a post about it!

Here is what our school station looked like this week. I set it up with the color of the week and the books of the week on top and put toys that make sounds and music in the cubbies. Caleb played with a few of them, but the twins seemed to enjoy the toys the most.


I didn't plan nearly as many activities and crafts for this week and next because of our upcoming vacation. I mostly wanted to spend these first 3 weeks of school getting him accustomed to the idea of school and the structure. Plus, I knew that I'd be busy getting prepared for our trip and wouldn't have as much time to spend on a lot of activities. When we come back from our trip, we'll be really diving into school and starting to learn the letters and numbers and learning to recognize and write his first name. I'm really looking forward to all that I have planned! :)

2 comments:

  1. I love that checklist! I'll be following you for more ideas for the ABCJLM curriculum. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! It's so flattering to hear that!

    ReplyDelete