Thursday, August 18, 2011

Creation Day 3 - Land and Plants

Today we focused on the third day of creation; the creation of land and plants. I wanted to do an activity that would teach Caleb about the process of how we use the earth (soil) to grow all types of plants, trees, and flowers and how everything starts from just one small seed.

My dad (who I believe to be an expert on all things gardening related) came over to help out with today's activities and brought potting soil and beans along with him!

Supplies used: Potting soil, pinto beans, plastic cups, and water.


My dad poured the kidney beans out into a large plastic bowl and the potting soil into an empty pot I had on the front porch. Caleb had a lot of fun putting his hands into the bowl of beans and digging into the soil. Great sensory activities!



Caleb helped my dad fill the cups up with the soil.



Caleb didn't quite get the concept at first about putting just a few beans into the soil.


Grandpa had to show him how to do it.


Then Caleb filled up some cups with water from the hose and watered the soil.


And the finished products!


Caleb was a bit confused as to why the beans didn't sprout right away. We had watched a time-lapsed video the day before that showed a bean plant growing and he didn't understand why ours didn't do that too! My dad had a great idea to do a little craft so Caleb could see how the beans would sprout and what it would look like when they did. My dad cut out some pots, beans, stems, and leaves out of construction paper. He even hand cut out some letters for the title. Color me impressed!


 He had Caleb glue down the pieces.


It turned out so cute! Way to go, grandpa! I would have never thought of this!


After the craft Caleb and his grandpa sat down on the couch together and watched a old Jack and the Beanstalk movie I found on YouTube. What a fun day filled with some great memories!

No comments:

Post a Comment