Sunday, October 30, 2011

Week 7 Overview - "D is for Ducks"

This week we focused on learning the letter D, the color yellow, and the number 3. I chose a duck theme to go along with our lessons.

We had some really great books to go along with our theme.


In case you're wondering I get most of my books of the week from my mom's "library". She is a retired elementary school teacher and a lover of children's books and has a very impressive collection! Over 900 books on her bookshelves! So when we went out to visit her on our vacation, I brought along my lesson plans and picked out enough to last us the first 17 weeks of school.

One of Caleb's favorite books was Five Little Ducks. He loved singing the song with me and we even got out some of our duck bath toys to help illustrate the song.


His favorite part was when the mother duck said, "Quack, quack, quack!". The biggest toy duck (who we made the mommy) actually made quacking sounds when squeezed, so he would squeeze it whenever we got to that part of the song.

Our duck craft I got from ABC Jesus Loves Me, I used the template provided to cut out shapes from construction paper and then traced Caleb's hand to make the duck's feathers.



I had Caleb help me glue the pieces together and then had him choose some googly eyes to stick on. Here's our finished duck!



I also used our duck cookie cutter on Caleb's breakfast toast. :)


For the letter poster, Caleb stuck dots on the letter D.


He also played with the letter D foam letter stickers.


We played with our color of the week in Play-Doh and used the number 3 cookie cutter to help reinforce the number of the week. I really had planned on making more of our homemade playdough, but got lazy and used some that we already had in the house. He didn't seem to mind. :)


We also made another page that will go in our apple tree counting book.


Another fun week!




No comments:

Post a Comment